Friday, January 6, 2012

be present?

Have you ever tried that? Really, truly tried to be present for just one day- all day long? It's hard. Really hard. There's so much to distract: iphone, instagram, facebook, pinterest, blogs, espn, netflix, words with friends, computer, email, and the list goes on. I'm not the only one, right? I'm sure you've been on both sides of it--- somewhere with someone and they're on their phone half the time instead of talking with you? Or, you've been somewhere and you find yourself on your phone messing around and before you realize it it's been 30 minutes.


One of the focuses during advent was to be present in the season - to give your presence. And through this season, I've been convicted. I've been convicted that I do a pretty terrible job of that. I've found that my mind doesn't feel busy unless I'm talking with someone, checking facebook on my phone, and checking my email. Sometimes it's just easier to let my brain operate on auto pilot, but it's not better. It's not fuller.

So, I'm not one for resolutions, but I am one for making changes in life. Changes that stick. Changes that make me a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend. So, that's my goal this year--- to put down my phone and pick up a conversation with my husband. To put down the phone and pick up a toy. To put down the phone and spend some real quality time with people that I love. To show them that they're important to me by the time that I devote to spending with them. It's hard to be plugged in all the time, but I'm positive that it's worth it.

To remind myself, I put this on my phone:


Via

And now, when I pick up my phone, I'm reminded. Be present. Choose people. Choose relationships. Make the choice to plug into life and people instead of an app on my iphone. Join me?




2 comments:

efiscus said...

Kristen, you are amazing! This really struck a chord with me. It's so easy to get lost in all the unimportant things and miss out on what truly matters. I'm going to work on being Present with those I love. :)

a blog full of weldons. said...

i love this post! i am so convicted of the same thing...and you are so right...to try and be present for one entire day? it's really hard! how sad is that. what a great idea to put a reminder on your phone. i'm going to do the same and pray it will help me to put that stupid phone right back down :)