Friday, February 3, 2012

so much to learn

As a parent, you think you have so much to teach your kid. I mean you do, really. What I didn't know is how much I would learn from him and how much Everett could teach me in two short years. I don't know what it is about life that somehow at 28 you can lose some perspective about little things in life and sometimes the important stuff in life.

Most days I am "busy" checking things off my list and sometimes am too busy for others. I didn't notice it until Everett really started talking and understanding the concept of hello. Everywhere we go, he says hello to the people we pass. In the grocery store, in the parking lot, out to dinner, at the playground. He makes eye contact and says hello to everyone he sees. He doesn't pay attention to age or gender or race. He doesn't mind if people are crabby or don't say hello back. He still continues to say hello to the people we meet. It's the sweetest and it's a lesson that I needed to learn. A lesson in loving people no matter who they are or if I even know them. Learning that sometimes giving someone a hello and a smile is what they needed right then, and evidence that someone cares.


Everett- you're such a good teacher. Thanks for helping me become a better mama and wife and person. I'm so glad you're mine.

Come on- don't you want to say hello to this?!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Precious little boy!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

Amen lady. As you know miss friendly Eme is the same and she often blesses people with her aknowledgement of them. It's a really good reminder :) love these babies. Ps: took E to CFA for dinner last night. Meltdown. Let's just say I will not be taking her again unless Everett is there & ready to 'play play'. Lol