Friday, July 5, 2013

kenya & the neema project

Even before we brought Everett home from the hospital, we prayed Psalms 127:3 over him and hung those words on his wall.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from Him" 

With both of our kids, we prayed for them and wanted them and were so excited to bring them home and love them. They were planned for and on purpose. I never worried about where they would sleep and what they would eat. There were parties and gifts and cards given in anticipation of their arrivals. I knew they would have a safe place to call home. I never worried about taking care of them by myself, knowing I had a strong, loving, and faithful husband to walk beside me in parenting. 

In a village thousands of miles from Morgantown, there are women, girls really, who have known none of those comforts. They have been raped, abused, or forced into a life of prostitution to put food in the mouths of their children. They have wondered where there next meal may come from and if their children will be safe for another day. Their stories are heartbreaking. Many of them, teenagers who never made the choice to become moms. Many not wanting the overwhelming responsibility of a child when they were almost children themselves. 

A few years ago, I heard the stories of these girls and the Neema Project; a program reaching these young girls. A program created to educate, rehabilitate, and love these girls in a society and world that had seemingly forgotten them. Ever since hearing about Neema, I have had a special place for them in my heart. I have prayed for them, provided when we could, and desired to meet these sweet girls.

At the end of this month, I get the privilege of traveling to Kenya to visit the Neema girls. I get to celebrate the graduation of a handful of the girls from the program that they have worked so long and hard in. I get the privilege of speaking to them about a God who created and loves them and hasn't forgotten them. I get to encourage them as mothers and women. I am excited and anxious and a overwhelmed all at the same time.

I'd love if you'd pray for me. Pray that I would be able to encourage and love these young moms. Pray that we would continue to build relationships with the people from the village, the teachers and all of the people that we come in contact with. Pray for Aaron as he is responsible for our two little boys for 10 days. Pray for my mother in law and sister in laws as the help us watch the boys. Pray for Everett and Graham- that they would understand that I'm coming back and that they would do okay without me. Pray that lives would be changed, including mine.

kenya team- 2013


1 comment:

Meg G said...

What an amazing opportunity and experience! I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Can't wait to hear about it all when you get back!