Friday, February 4, 2011

doing it yourself

When Everett was new out of the womb he slept a lot and I consequently read a lot. DIY blogs to be exact(Young House Love, Bower Power, and Centsational Girl are my favorites). HGTV is also my favorite tv channel and I've watched way too many episodes of "get it sold" and other DIY shows! Since then, I've been inspired to finish some projects around the house. I am by no means as talented or creative as Sabrina Soto or these three blogger ladies, but I think (along with my handy husband) we can get some stuff done! So, here are some projects that we'd like to get done around the house and hope to complete in 2011. Some are easier and others more in depth, but either way I'll update you throughout the year when we finish!


1- Fix this light:
It has been an eyesore in my kitchen since we moved here, and despite the fact that I claimed it would be the "first thing I'd change" it is still there. So, for now, I simply want to paint the hideous thing black. Maybe one day we'll figure out how to get rid of it completely.

2- Repaint the dining room. When we moved in everything was white. I was liking red and so we painted 3 walls in the dining room a maroon/red color. I'm tired of the dark red and ready for something new, hence the repainting.

3. (Neatly) mount the television above our fireplace. Aaron and I decided that we don't use our nice big tv enough (currently located in his man cave). We are going to mount the tv above the fireplace, cut out the drywall and run the wires behind the wall to one neat and tidy outlet. Fingers crossed that all works out.

4. Get rid of the Tiffany's-esque chandelier that hangs in an awkward place in our living room. Replace it with either a plate or new lighting of some sort. While we're at it, paint the ceiling where Aaron had to patch a leak last year.

5. Update the ceiling fan in our bedroom. It's a little outdated and does not match our bedroom. I am going to paint the blades white and spray paint the nasty gold a more muted silver color. I also want to replace the glass around the lightbulbs.

6. Rearrange the furniture in the living room. We've lived in our house for almost 3 years now and I am getting the itch to change things up. Mounting the tv above the fireplace will free up some room to move things around and change up our current design!

7. Add some wall art to our master bedroom/bathroom. I have been looking forever for things to liven up the walls, but to no avail. I'll see what I can come up with here...etsy? make my own?

8. Update our upstairs bathroom light fixtures. We need to replace our builder beauties in our master and hall bathrooms. They are gold and nasty and I'm on the lookout for some new chic lighting to update the spaces.


So there you have it. Our 2011 project list. Any major 2011 projects for you and yours?

2 comments:

Take Nothing for Granted said...

I'm really excited to see what you do in 2011. I hope you'll post before and after pictures for each project!

The Anderson's said...

How are Aaron and I going to get any golfing in?